Since I was a little kid, my Dad always made sure I had a good pocket knife. Pam’s (my wife) Dad was the same way. You never know when you’re going to need the utility of a good knife, as well as the possibility, however remote, of possibly needing a knife to defend yourself.
Now that we’re older, our items of EDC, or Every Day Carry, have changed somewhat.
Here is a brief summary of the items I carry all the time, so long as its legal for me to do so. The first part of the list is obvious.
- Wallet – Money cards and identification.
- Phone – I mean really, do we go anywhere without a phone any more?
- Knife – My favorite knife is the Kershaw Blur, black, serrated. Goes with me everywhere.
- Defensive Pistol – I carry the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm.
- Spare Mag of Ammo – Sometimes, depends on what I’m wearing and if I have my bag with me or not.
- Flashlight – Sometimes, depends on what time of day I’m out, what I’m wearing and if I have my bag with me or not.
The placement of most of these items are pretty obvious. Wallet and keys and phone find themselves in a pocket of some kind
In most of my casual modes of dress, I am able to carry my pistol in a Kydex OWB (outside the waistband) holster, under an untucked shirt.
On occasion, however, its necessary to carry in one of two bags. Depending on what I need to take with me, I might carry in a 5.11 Covert backpack.
And, sometimes, especially if I’m just running a quick errand, but I’m in workout clothes or something, I’ll carry in a 5.11 sling pack.
These are all great options. But what most people fail to do is actually practice drawing and presenting their firearm from the different concealment options that they use. Whenever I have the chance to be on the range and get in some reps, I try to get 50-100 rounds of practice from these other concealment options (the bags), training in as much context as possible (dynamic critical incident) while being safe on a square range.
For more information about concealed carry, check out our Fundamentals of Concealed Carry class.